Monday, March 1, 2010

Monkey Business

I spent another wonderful day kayaking the Silver Spring River.  Along the way I ran across this amazing bird.  After a little research, I found out that this is an Anhinga.  He can swim under water in search of fish.  Since he doesn't have water-repelling oil on his wings like a duck, he sits around like this to dry himself off.
I'm not sure what kind of bird this is, but he seemed to be drying himself too.
I'd heard a rumor that there were monkeys living in the area.  One of the stories is that they escaped when they were filming Tarzan movies here in the 1930's.  They were just as cute as could be.
They seemed to be as excited to see me as I was to see them.  I suspect they are often fed by passers by.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the pictures. The monkeys were a lot cuter and safer than seeing the gators! Glad you are having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second bird in your pictures is a cormorant. Very similar to the anhingas, but a bit smaller. You can generally tell the difference by the wings... anhingas have some white or gray coloring, while cormorants (at least the ones here in Florida) have solid black wings.

    ReplyDelete